Thursday, June 21, 2007

MR5 coming down the pipe

I'm finally chewing through the release notes for MR5 (Release Candidate 3) and must say I'm impressed (as always). For two reasons this time:

1) Some great new functionality
2) Not too much great new functionality (hopefully fewer bugs)

The two things that I'm most excited about are generic USB Disk support and this "Central Management Services"

It was ridiculous to do it any other way before (and the poor bastards that bought FortiUSB sticks will feel a bit punked), but now we'll be able to use any USB key for config and firmware backup. Yeah!

The "Central Management Services" sounds very promising. A subscription based service that will automatically backup your config (with versions) and do firmware upgrades (automatically or on-demand). I sure hope the firmwares that install automagically don't break too much... I wonder how expensive this new "subscription" will be? I see this as great for small companies or satellite offices, but not larger more sensitive enterprise installations - so hopefully it'll be pretty damn cheap.

I did notice two gotchas in MR5 changes:
1) If using the new hard disk log uploader function with an Active/Active HA, only the master unit's logs are uploaded.
2) Probably has the same root cause, but with Active/Active HA content archiving and quarantine files only come from the master unit.

Pretty dodgy if you ask me, if I'm trying to keep logs and content archives, I'm probably doing them to meet some policy requirement (maybe even one enforced by law). So I'll want more than half the logs, after all I prefer stay in a job and out of jail.

No comments: